Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Second Grade, Here She Comes!


Katie went back to school on Friday. We went to Meet and Greet last Wednesday and met her teacher, Mrs. Conner, who recognized Katie from seeing her around school, but didn't know her name. She seemed very nice. Katie has a few friends in her class, including her friend Micah, which she is pretty excited about. Getting the supplies together and going to Meet and Greet really got her excited to go back to school. It is bittersweet for me though. While I love having her home with me and Sarah, I long for a routine that we can't seem to keep during summer.
Sarah asked when we got back home if Katie has to go back to school. I told her that she had to go back in a few days. She didn't say anything for a few minutes, and then I asked her if she was sad that Katie was going back to school. I fully expected her to say yes, because she loves to have Katie home and could hardly wait for school to get out in May. Much to my surprise, her reply was, "NO! We'll have lots of fun without her!" It was pretty funny, especially since I wasn't expecting that reaction. And we have been having a fun time together, just me and my sweet little Sarah. I really thought about putting her in preschool this year, but the fact that it is outrageously expensive and that I am not ready for her to be gone helped me to decide to put her in "Mommy School" instead. I have some workbooks that we are doing and a Hooked on Phonics program that I am doing with her. She is doing really well and LOVES to "do her school work". She also likes to do homework in the afternoon while Katie is doing hers, so I have now started assigning her some 'homework' to keep her occupied and to make her "Mommy School" seem more 'real'.
Our absolutely adorable 2nd grader! When she was in Kindergarten, she used to turn and blow me a kiss and wave to me each day as I dropped her off. In 1st grade, she would turn and wave to me at the beginning of the year, but then by the end of the year she wasn't even doing that anymore. (sniff sniff) So I'm trying not to be too disappointed that she's not doing anything of the sort this year. She's growing up way too fast.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

The day is fast approaching for us too. I love the relaxation of summer, but am ready for the routine of the school year. But sending her off...I'm almost sadder this year than ever before. How could she have grown up so much already?

Congratulations to Katie, though. She looks like the cutest 2nd grader in LA.