When I was in junior high, I went to my best friend's house for her birthday party/sleepover. While I was there, I watched her older sister, who worked at a bakery, decorate her birthday cake. I was fascinated, and over the next few months I talked my mom into buying me a few cake decorating supplies and I recreated that same cake many times over the next several years. I have always wanted to learn more, so when I was in Michael's a couple of weeks ago, I happened to see a paper advertising the Wilton Cake Decorating Classes that were about to start and I got so excited. I came home and talked to Aaron about it and he said, "Go for it!" So I did! Tonight was my first class and it was so awesome! The instructor taught the basics of making cakes and icing, how to level and frost a cake, how to do a shell border, and how to make a rose. She made it all look so easy. The best part--I have homework! This will be the funnest--and tastiest--homework ever!
Monday, August 3, 2009
Playtime For Mommy!
When I was in junior high, I went to my best friend's house for her birthday party/sleepover. While I was there, I watched her older sister, who worked at a bakery, decorate her birthday cake. I was fascinated, and over the next few months I talked my mom into buying me a few cake decorating supplies and I recreated that same cake many times over the next several years. I have always wanted to learn more, so when I was in Michael's a couple of weeks ago, I happened to see a paper advertising the Wilton Cake Decorating Classes that were about to start and I got so excited. I came home and talked to Aaron about it and he said, "Go for it!" So I did! Tonight was my first class and it was so awesome! The instructor taught the basics of making cakes and icing, how to level and frost a cake, how to do a shell border, and how to make a rose. She made it all look so easy. The best part--I have homework! This will be the funnest--and tastiest--homework ever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hey! I finally signed into my gmail account and I'm good to go now! :)
I took that Wilton class too! I loved it and I really learned a lot. You'll definitely benefit from it especially with 3 kids, 3 birthday cakes a year! Have fun!!
I took that class a long time ago, before I married Randy. I took it with one of my aunts and several other older ladies. We rode together to Bridge City,TX to take it. I used my "skills" a lot with the kid's birthdays. I never did master those roses. Randy's mom and sister-in-law were awesome with them. I know you will turn out some beautiful cakes.
I am so jealous. I would love to do that. Maybe next time they offer the class!! Good for you....
Andrea,
I so wish I had known you were interested in cake decorating--I surely would have told you about it. It's always funner to do those kind of things with a friend. :)
That's awesome! I love learning. I could've used that before trying to make Hudson's cake! :) I'm sure you will have a lot of fun doing that. I can't wait to see some of your creations!
How Fun! I've ALWAYS wanted to take a cake decorating class! Ooo when do they start up again?!
Micheal's has cake decorating classes that start at the beginning of each month. The regular price is $45, but they usually run them at 40% off, which makes them $27. So I thought I was getting a good deal. However, I just found out that Hobby Lobby has cake decorating classes too. Their regular price is $33, and they had their's for half of this month! I think I will be going to Hobby Lobby for Courses 2, 3, and 4. :)
Post a Comment