Friday, August 21, 2009
The Meanest Mom on the Planet
Yep, that's me. At least that's what I feel like right now. Why? Because I just dropped off my kindergartner screaming, crying, and begging to stay home with me. This same thing happened with Katie. She absolutely loved the first few days of school, and then started crying when I would drop her off. EVERYDAY. FOR THREE MONTHS. I was hoping that Sarah wouldn't go through this. Maybe it was because she was tired. Or maybe it was because she was having a bad hair day, or so she thought. Her hair was actually pretty adorable today. I had gotten up early today to curl Katie's hair because she has been wanting me to curl it all week. When she saw me taking Katie's hair down, she asked if I could curl hers. I told her we didn't have time, and I could curl it on Monday for her. But she started to get upset, so I decided to try to rush and get it done so she wouldn't get upset. So she was happy while I was putting the curlers in. But when I started to take them out, she started to get upset. Since her hair is so much shorter and finer than Katie's, hers really curled up, so much that it looked super short, and she did not like it. She kept saying that she wanted it long like Katie's. I told her not to worry and that I'd make it cute, when I got all of the curlers out. She didn't like it down at all, so I put it up in a ponytail and it was so cute with all of the curls in the back. She was okay with it, but still not happy, and that's when she started saying that she didn't want to go to school. I asked her why she didn't want to go and if it was because she had a bad day yesterday. She said it wasn't because of the ketchup incident, or because of the "mean guy", or the "snoring guy". She said she would tell me why if I'd let her stay home, so of course I didn't find out "her" reason. The first two days I walked them to class and then yesterday I dropped them off at the crosswalk and watched them walk across, but today I knew that it might get sticky so I went through the drive through. Sarah kept saying she didn't want to go, and I kept trying to tell her that her teacher and her friends would miss her if she didn't go, but that didn't work. So then I tried bribing her with a Sonic treat after school, which also didn't phase her one bit. So we finally get to the elementary drop off and I open the door. Katie gives me hugs and kisses and gets out and Sarah sits there and says she's not getting out. So two teachers come over to coax her out, but that just made it worse. She started crying as they unbuckled her. She got up and came and hugged me and wouldn't let go. So one of the teachers took her arm and started to gently pull her out and then she really started crying and screaming. I told her I loved her and I would pick her up later and closed the van door. I drove away crying as I watched the teachers trying to calm her as they were carrying her crying into the school. It's hard enough to drop them off, but when they're crying when you drop them off, it's a million times harder. When Katie was going through the same thing when she started school, she used to tell me that she wished I was five so that I could go to school with her. And today......I am wishing I was five again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I know how you feel. It hurts like crazy to do that, even though you know it is the right thing to do. I'm sure she came home fine and ready to give you lots of hugs and kisses. I'm hoping this won't take three months. Maybe Sarah in on the fast track. :) We sure love you!
Awww, I know how hard it is to leave your baby crying like that while you drive away. She'll be ok, and you're a great mom for insisting she go and not giving in. Good Job!
Oh, what a shame! I sure hope Sarah gets adjusted to her new school soon, and you did the right thing by leaving her there because sometimes they just have to learn the hard way. Gosh, reading about that whole ordeal with curling and fixing the girls' hair made me appreciate having boys! :) It is one less thing we have to worry about when getting ready for school in the morning!
awww, poor Sarah! Hope she's been having great days since then. They both look adorable in their new school stuff!
wow..... I used to do that some but not often!! I bet the girls looked so cute!! I think you are one of the top 2 moms in the world!
OH, I feel your pain. That is one of the hardest thing in the world. I hope we don't go there with Lily this year. Emma had it in kindergarten. Lily had one hard day and didn't want to wear the shoes she had on. I CAN"T go home to get different ones and she was not happy. So, good luck. Stick to your guns or she will think she can continue to do this. I will never forget Lori Hansen having that problem with Amanda and she ended up taking her out of kindergarten. Can't imagine that with Sarah, though. It will get better.
Tristan really struggled when we moved him to a new school half way through kindergarten. He suddenly decided he did not want to go any more. The PE coach pulled him from my car many mornings! The assistant principal used to take him and eat breakfast with him until he calmed down and then delivered him to class.
I will never forget though, the day he was screaming at the bus stop for me to take him to school. I carried him over to the bus, shoved him on, told him I loved him and to have a great day, and told the driver to close the door! But, he never gave me another problem about getting on the bus. And I never had to take him to school again either.
That must be so hard! I hope Sarah is doing better and gets excited to go to school again. I love her stories!
Oh, I'm so sorry! Hopefully, it was just a one day thing!
oh man, that's terrible. i'm so sorry for you both. i use to feel so sorry for parents who had to go through with that when i was teaching and i've often prayed that none of my kids would be that way. it's not fair that both of your girls have been that way. we'll pray for her. give her tons of hugs and kisses from us and tell her we love her.
Ugh! Just started crying reading that post! I'm so sorry!! I hope by now things are getting better....its so hard to grow up...on the child and the parent!
Post a Comment