Saturday, August 8, 2009

Homework



I finally got around to doing my homework today. And since John is six months old today, the girls wanted to celebrate his half birthday. Katie picked out the colors (John Deere, of course!) and wanted six roses to represent six months. It didn't turn out quite like I had hoped, but just the techniques of leveling and icing the cake has seriously improved the look of my cakes. I did a shell border, which turned out okay. But, my first attempt at roses was a sad attempt indeed. I had a couple of problems. First, I my icing was just too soft, so they just kinda melted together to look like yellow blobs. I need to figure out just the right consistency. And I just need to practice more. However, it tasted delicious!



I know, it's not a very boyish cake, but it was just his half birthday. I've already got his 1st birthday cake all planned out. I just hope I can make the plans in my head a reality on a cake in six more months.



The girls were so funny and were acting like it was really his birthday. They insisted on a candle, which they of course blew out for him. And Sarah made him a present. She built him a cabin out of the Lincoln Logs for him to destroy..........



..........which he did, and loved every second of it! So she built several more for him, and each time he knocked it over with much delight. Get ready girls..........your stuff is next!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

What a sweet little girl that Sarah is. Love the cake!

Susan said...

Your cake was GREAT!!! And you just started lessons...remind me to tell you of my experience with making roses, ha!