Thursday, December 11, 2008

You Might Think I'm Crazy

But I had no choice but to do what I did in the wee morning hours. For years my sweet Katie has longingly asked, "Mom, when am I going to get to see snow?" And my answer has always been the same, "Probably never, at least as long as we live in Louisiana." So when Katie heard on the news that there was a chance for snow, she was beside herself with excitement. She was very disappointed to find out that she still had to go to bed at her normal time last night. I told her if it snowed that I would wake her up so she could see it. She then wanted someone to stay up all night to watch for snow. Yeah, right. As bad as I wanted her to see it snow, I was not willing to do that. But lucky for her someone was watching. I woke at about 3:30am to the beeping of our answering machine, which meant that we had a new message. I always think the worst when we get a call in the middle of the night. But it was my sister-in-law, Amy, who in a very happy and excited voice was telling us that it was snowing at their house in Vidor, Texas--so much that they had been playing in it for an hour and had built a snowman the size of my 16 year old nephew, Jarrett. So I got up to go see if it was snowing here. When I first looked out into the night, I couldn't tell that it was snowing. But when I looked out of the back door I could see some accumulation on Aaron's truck. So I looked closer and could see tiny, little snow flakes falling--the kind that you have to strain your eyes to see. I went back to ask Aaron if he thought I should wake Katie up. I knew she would be upset if I didn't wake her, especially if I told her we saw it snowing and it wasn't snowing when she got up at 6:30. I also knew that it might be a long time before she would see it snowing here again. Aaron says he only remembers it snowing once when he was little. So I went and woke her up, and Sarah too accidentally. They were both so excited when I told them it was snowing and wanted to see it. Turns out that we got up at just the right time because the tiny flakes turned into the big-beautiful-can see them from a mile away snow flakes! It was so pretty to watch it falling. So then of course the girls wanted to go outside to get a closer look. Sarah, when she felt how cold it was, decided that she could see just fine from the doorway. Katie, on the other hand, wanted to really get the full effect of the experience.



Look at how excited she is--at 3:30am!



And of course she had to taste it!



Check out how huge these flakes were!



A front view of our house.



Aaron's truck.



When she woke up at her normal time and found out she still had to go to school, she wanted to go make a snow angel. I had to let her, even though the thought of it make me shiver. Who knows when she'll get the chance again?!



Here is Katie's first snow angel. Even though we had to miss out on some sleep, it was so worth it to see the smiles on the girls faces and to see the beautiful snow falling--something that is very rare in Southwest Louisiana. Our own little Christmas miracle!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm so happy you guys got to have some snow. I think you were a great mommy to wake the girls up and let them see the snow. I hope you get more. Send some our way, too. :)

Andrea said...

It was pretty amazing!! Kaite is so cute!! It was nice to have snow. The boys were so excited. Lane was the most excited. It's so much fun to see them all happy!!

Laura said...

I actually only think you're half crazy for getting up! I don't think I would have gotten my kids up if I knew, but then if they had known of the possibility, they might have made me promise, and then I would have done the same thing. I heard about the chance and shrugged it off, b/c they always say that and it never does! LOL

The kids were ready for school in five min. flat this morning--though I'm sure a couple of them skipped brushing their teeth--and spent 45 minutes playing outside having a huge snowball fight and jumping on the trampoline so they could make the snow bounce. LOL
They had a BALL!!!!

You are an awesome mother!!!!

Marc and Letty said...

It was excited.
She looks so happy; We are so sad because We miss the snow.

Anonymous said...

Oh to be young and endure the cold for all the joy and fun it brings. Katie is such a brave wee soul making a snow angel! It looks great too.

Tiffany said...

Oh wow, you guys got lots of snow...we only got some snow flurries here in Houston, but nothing that accumulated on the ground. I've never seen people so excited about a few snowflakes floating around in the air!