Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mire Family Reunion



This past weekend we spent with the entire Mire family. The festivities began on Friday evening when everyone arrived at Sam Houston State Park and checked into their cabins. Aaron and I went up and visited for a while, then left the girls with Maw Maw and Paw Paw to spend the night in their cabin. They were so excited to go 'camping.' Aaron and I opted to stay at home where I could rest better, and everyone else too really. After all, how much sleep would the other seven people in our cabin get with me up every hour or so for water and potty breaks?



Katie and Jaimee enjoying some tunes on Jaimee's new MP3 player.



Sarah enjoying a 'shoulder ride' from Uncle Ammon.

Saturday morning we headed back up to the park for a day of fun activities, such as.................




..........a treasure hunt, which was quite the challenge. I actually sat out, since it involved walking Sam Houston Park over several times, and my ankles were already starting to swell. But everyone seemed to enjoy it. Here is the green team finding one of their clues. Katie thought the treasure hunt was the coolest thing....................



................but the pink team were actually the winners.



There was also an egg toss, which was quite entertaining to watch.



Katie really enjoyed this event too.....................



................especially the fact that Stacy got egged instead of her.



Sarah really enjoyed feeding the ducks. She fed them so much that they finally left, but she kept on throwing bread out for them. She said they had to go home and take a nap, but they were coming back later to eat the rest.



Katie had a whole loaf of bread, but she wasn't feeding the ducks.



"Katie, are you feeding the ducks or yourself?" I guess she figured Sarah had the ducks covered.



While we were feeding the ducks, Shane told Jarrett that he would give him $20 if he would swim across the river and back. And like any crazy teenage boy would, he took the dare for just
20 bucks. It was a little chilly outside, so I'm sure the water was really chilly, but it didn't seem to phase him.



And here he is...............victorious and $20 richer.



The challenge was also given to Jacob, who was not as convinced as Jarrett that it was a good idea. So his Uncles, Ammon and Adam, and cousins, Forrest and Dallas, tried to 'persuade' him to give it a try. But, lucky for him (because they surely could have thrown him in), they had mercy on him.



We saw lots of deer at the park. Too bad for Aaron that hunting isn't allowed at Sam Houston.



And no, this has nothing to do with the reunion, but Aaron was so proud that he and his brothers were there representing what he called 'Team Toyota', since Ammon converted too and bought his white Toyota Tacoma while he was here over Christmas. Boys and their toys.

The fun was stifled a bit when it started pouring just after dinner, but only long enough for us all to gather in Aunt Renee and Uncle Dave's cabin for more fun and games. It was such a fun day, and the girls are already planning a trip back for our family and some friends to hang out and enjoy the park.

Sunday after Sacrament Meeting we all gathered at Kent and Johnice's for some more visiting, some of Johnice's delicious gumbo, and goodbyes. Thanks to Aunt Renee and Uncle Dave for planning such an awesome reunion!

6 comments:

Susan said...

The truck picture is hilarious, long live Toyota...and Honda! :)

Jen said...

I was actually going to leave a comment about how funny the truck picture is...but my mom beat me to it...odd...looks like y'all had fun though!

Lindsay and Mike said...

I can't believe it is the end of December & you guys are out there in your T-Shirts! This is the time of year when I miss Louisiana! I have a foot and a half of snow on my front lawn right now!

RaeAnn said...

Lots of fun Christmas activities!! Glad you had such a good time. Hope you have a happy new year too!!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I hate that I missed everyone, it would have been fun to see. :)

Andrea said...

Boys and their toys!! Too funny!!

What a fun reunion, and all those games. Too much fun!! I can't that boy jumped in the water like that, brrrrrr! I was shivering here just looking at those pictures.