Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Things I Love--Christmas Edition

1. I LOVE decorating for Christmas, and can hardly wait to get our decorations up each year. Ideally (which didn't happen this year) I like to put them up the day after Thanksgiving so we can get the maximum amount of time to enjoy them. My mom is a firm believer in celebrating each holiday, but not before the present one is over. So we never put Christmas stuff out before Thanksgiving as a kid, and I believe she has a great point and I follow her rule on decorating for the holidays.

2. I LOVE Christmas music. I also can hardly wait to break out my Christmas music, but also firmly believe in waiting until after Thanksgiving for that too. I love to listen to it while I get things done around the house and while I'm driving around town. I also love to dance around the living room with my girls while blaring our favorite Christmas songs. I think this is because I remember it 'officially' feeling like Christmas when my Daddy would blare his Andy Williams record while we would put up the Christmas decorations when I was a kid. That would also explain why one of my favorite Christmas tunes is "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". So love that song! Good times.

3. I LOVE making Christmas treats with my girls to bring to our friends.

4. I LOVE snuggling up with my husband and kids with a bowl of popcorn, a cup of hot chocolate, and watching a Christmas movie. My most favorite Christmas movie is "It's A Wonderful Life". Such a good movie. I haven't even watched it this year yet. I need to put that on my to-do list for tomorrow.

5. I LOVE wrapping presents and making packages look pretty. I am picky about what the wrapping paper looks like, and I like to use wired ribbon on my packages because it just looks prettier.

6. I LOVE that my girls believe in Santa and the magic of Christmas.

7. But most of all, I LOVE the good feelings that seem to abound in the world during this season. I LOVE that hearts seem to be turned toward others and their needs. And I LOVE that we are so blessed to have the gospel in our lives to guide us, give us peace, hope, and faith in things that we cannot see.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I love decorating too, but I have to admit that in recent years I've started earlier in November. I just like the cozy feeling of a Christmas tree in the house and a month just isn't long enough to enjoy it. :)

Kristen said...

Wait! I pressed enter before I was done...

I love listening to Christmas music too. We love the old Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Gene Autry and Andy Williams stuff, just to name a few. And Cory can give a pretty stirring rendition of Happy Holidays, too. :)

I love treats too, although this year it seems like I did more enjoying the treats from friends than making my own. Uh-oh!

I love #4 too, only our movie is "White Christmas". So good!!!

I missed Elise believing in Santa this year, but even that went okay. She makes an adorable Elf. And she made sure the other kids knew that Santa also had an Elf who was keeping a close eye on them. They didn't "get" it, but Cory and I did and thought it was hilarious.

Merry Christmas, Lynetta! Can't wait to hear what goodies Santa left at your place.