Thursday, May 14, 2009

We've Got the Pox!

Chicken Pox, that is. Katie came to me last night just before she got in the bathtub and said, "Mom, look at all of these red spots on me." I looked at her and saw that she had quite a few spots on her torso and a few on her legs. I didn't think it looked like chicken pox, but since it has been over twenty years since I had them, I looked online for pictures to see if that's what it was. I thought I had had a bad case of chicken pox, but after looking at the pictures on the Internet, I realized that I didn't. There are some pretty seriously bad and gross pictures of chicken pox out there. But the pictures weren't much help because they were all advanced stages. So, I decided to just keep Katie home today and make an appointment for her to see the doctor. And it's a good thing that I did because he took one look and said, "You have the chicken pox." She got the most pitiful look on her face, because for once, she actually wanted to go to school to turn in the permission slip to go to the water slide party at school tomorrow. He said since she has been vaccinated, it should clear up in 2 to 3 days, and that she should be able to return to school by Monday. So since she's been quarantined, we're going to try to make it fun for her. We're going to go rent some movies, get some of her favorite snacks, play some games, make some crafts, etc, etc, etc. Bring on the POX PARTY!

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow! Poor girl! I had chicken pox in the fourth grade. It was over Thanksgiving and I just remember coming to Thanksgiving dinner covered in itchy, red bumps and feeling miserable. I hope Katie has a mild case, parties while she's home and recovers quickly. Here's a big hug from us!!!

Andrea said...

OH my goodness!! Poor Katie. Good news that it should only last for a few days!! I hope she gets better quickly and her pox party sounds like fun!!

Amanda said...

That's just wrong. I didn't even know you could get them when you have been vaccinated. Poor girl. Tell her we're so sorry and give her kisses.

DonnaB said...

One baby's ears clear up and another gets the chicken pox...and so it goes....Believe it or not, you will miss these days! Get well Katie.

Lindsay and Mike said...

I didn't know you could get chicken pox after being vaccinated! That's crazy! I thought that chicken pox was a thing of the past because of the vaccine, but apparently not. So sad that she had to miss the waterpark party...but hopefully the pox party will be even more fun!

The Mabiles said...

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'd like to go to a Pox Party!

Tiffany said...

Oh no!! I'm sure you never expected Katie to get that. Hopefully she won't pass it on to the baby. Gavin had chicken pox when he was 5 months old (before the age to get vaccinated) because we were in Scotland at the time and our nephew had it. Luckily, Gavin had a fairly mild case. Anyway, hope Katie recovers quickly!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I love all of the pictures....you guys look wonderful. I would rather my little ones get chicken pox as babies...Sean did and it was a breeze compared to when they were school age. ;)