Thursday, March 26, 2009

Devastated

Yes, that's me. Completely. It all began last Thursday night when I got home from enrichment and John David screamed for 2 hours straight. He also refused to eat. He finally calmed down and went to sleep and slept well that night. When he woke up the next day, he seemed to be fine. But since he had cried so much the night before and didn't want to eat either--very unlike him on both counts--I decided to call and talk to a nurse about it. She said we should probably have him checked out just to make sure nothing was going on. So I took him in and sure enough, he had a terrible ear infection. Bless his little heart. So we got him on an antibiotic and assumed he would be back to normal in at least a couple of days. Nope. He has cried for about 2 hours every night since then. So I called and made another appointment for him today assuming that the antibiotic was not working. I was very surprised to hear the doctor say that his ears look great. What? Well, why is my normally calm and happy baby still screaming every night for 2 hours! Is he teething? There has to be some explanation. And then it happened. The doctor said the "C" word. Yes, he said he may have COLIC. NO! Please tell me something else it wrong. Not the dreaded "C" word. I know it could be worse, but right now I can't think of what that would be. He gave us a prescription but it does nothing. Absolutely nothing. The only thing that does help is a bath. He loves his bath and is happy while he's in the water. I know it won't last forever and that "this too shall pass." Just hopefully sooner than later. Until then, I'm considering giving him a 2 hour bath every night until he's six months old!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh dear. We did that with Elise. It is so hard on everyone. But you're right, it will pass. I hope it is short lived. Elise's lasted until 3 months, and tapered off until 4 months. After that she was the easiest baby ever. Good luck!!!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Connor had colic when he was a baby & would scream from 10:00 pm until 1:00 am. It was horrible! Luckily, it only lasted about 2 months...but that was the longest 2 months of my life!

Tiffany said...

Oh help! I don't envy you...Owen was our colicky baby, and I'm still trying to recover from the whole experience a year later - I think I'm permanently scarred! It was a nightmare! So, I hope it doesn't last too long for you guys. At least there will be an end to it at some point, so hang in there.