Friday, June 6, 2008

Temple Blessings

When Aaron and I set a goal to go to the temple once a month back in April, I have to admit that I wasn't sure if we would actually do it. We are 2 1/2 to 3 hours from the Houston Temple (depending on traffic), which would make it a huge sacrifice to go once a month. It takes a good chunk of the day just with the driving. With gas prices so outrageous, it would be a financial sacrifice for us as well. And there is always the question of what to do with the girls. But we have been blessed to have all of those things not be a problem for us so far--Johnice is more than willing to watch the girls and Kent has been very generous in letting Aaron off of work. We have seen some really amazing blessings in our lives from this new goal. When we went in April, I was praying about something specific, but did not receive an answer while we were there. I was pretty disappointed and I told Aaron about it. It wasn't until a few weeks later in sacrament meeting that I received an answer. I was sitting in the chapel while sacrament was being passed, not even thinking about the thing I had been praying about while in the temple, when I had a distinct impression made in my mind and I knew it was the answer to what I had been praying about. It was very clear and very simple. It wasn't exactly the answer I was hoping for, but I am grateful that my Heavenly Father gave me an answer. I know that He knows what is best for me and is aware the desires of my heart. Last month, I was also praying for something specific, and again did not receive an answer when I thought I would, but I did receive and an answer while I was in the temple.
We have received many other blessings as well since we have been attending the temple these last three months, temporal and spiritual. I know that some would call it coincidence, but I know that these blessings are from our temple attendance and part of the blessings promised to us in the scriptures as we attend. When I was released from Relief Society last month, our RS president, Susan Aucoin (I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to work with her--she is an amazing woman and I learned a lot from her), gave me a copy of Sheri Dew's book, No One Can Take Your Place. In this amazing book, Sister Dew asks the question, "Do we understand that when we leave the temple we emerge armed with power, what kind of power it is, and how we gain access to that power? (see D&C 109)" So because of our goal to attend the temple, I was very interested in this question and have been studying section 109 to learn about this power that surrounds and protects us as we leave the temple. It makes me wonder why it took us so long to make this goal of a monthly visit and partake of the wonderful blessings that are waiting there for us. I am so grateful for the temple!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no better feeling than to be within the temple walls. All worries, problems, pains, etc. just fade away and the wonder of Heavenly Father and his plan just fill all spaces in your mind and heart. I love to be in the temple. We truly are blessed to be members of the church. I'm so glad that you recieved your answers. It's always a confirmation that Heavenly Father is real and that he does love us individually.

gwen said...

Lynetta, that is so great! Once a month is quite ambitious, I'm impressed. But you're right- where there's a will, there's a way.

Lindsay and Mike said...

You are a great example! We are about 20 minutes away from the temple & STILL struggle to get there once a month! :)

Stacy James said...

You guys are fantastic! What great examples you are to all of us.