When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes buy the 4 for $1 chicken pot pies and I loved them. It wasn't until we moved here that I had one of Marie Callender's frozen chicken pot pies and wow, what a difference. Now they were delicious! But I completely understand why my mom never bought those. She had seven kids to feed and the Marie Callender pot pies are about $3 for just one! So I was very excited a few years ago to find a recipe for Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie. It is scrumptious!
Crust
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons ice water
2/3 cup cold butter
Filling
1 cup sliced carrots (I use baby carrots)
1 cup sliced celery (I skip the celery, and add more carrots)
2 cups frozen peas
1 cup chopped white onion
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1. Prepare the crust by mixing the flour and salt. Make a depression in the center and add the yolks and ice water. Slice the butter into tablespoon portions and add to depression also.
2. Using a fork, cut the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. When all of the flour is moistened, use your hands to finish combining the ingredients, making sure the butter chunks are well blended into the dough. Roll the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and put it in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
3. When the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Start the filling by the carrots and celery for 5 minutes. Add the frozen peas and onions and continue to steam for an additional 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
4. Prepare the chicken by poaching in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
5. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, remove from heat, then add flour and whisk together until smooth. Add the chicken broth and milk and continue stirring over high heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Cook until thick and then reduce heat to low.
6. Cut the poached chicken into bite-size pieces and add to the sauce. Add the salt and a dash of pepper. Add the steamed vegetables to the sauce and simmer the mixture of low heat for 5 minutes.
7. As the filling simmers, roll out the dough on a floured surface. Use the casserole dish you plan to bake in as a guide for rolling out and cutting the dough. (The recipe says you can make four 16 ounce pies, but I just make one big one.) Place rolled out dough in the casserole dish.
8. Spoon filling into the casserole dish and then cover with more of the rolled out dough. Press seams together. (I usually cut three slits in the top.)
9. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown.
1 comment:
Yum, yum, yummy! I love pot pies! Congrats on losing the tooth...hope you get a better price than we did...ha ha...5 bucks per tooth...thanks to my dad.
Post a Comment