Thursday, June 19, 2008
Eating My Words
Okay, so it hasn't been all fun and games this summer. Every morning before we leave the house for the activities of the day, I have been doing a Hooked on Phonics program with Katie to help build her confidence in her reading skills. At the end of each section is a review, and each review gets bigger because the review includes of all the sections covered so far in the book. This morning as Katie reached another review, she said, "I can't do this. It's too much." To which I replied (with lots of motherly excitement and encouragement), "Of course you can! You are my banner roll student! You can do anything you want to do!" And she very happily exclaimed, "Okay, I choose to skip it!" Oops, did I just say she could do ANYTHING SHE WANTED TO? "Ummm, anything except that!" Wow, she's a little too smart! I guess I need to choose my words a little more carefully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
They are awfully smart for being so young, aren't they? At least she just asked to skip the assignment...she could have asked for much worse, since you said she could do anything. ;)
OK, it's because she's a YOUNG that she's sooooo smart!!!(not to correct you, kristen, of course - just HAD to get that "young" joke in) Katie is so wonderful, Lynetta. I love that little spark of fire in her that arises occasionally to show us that she will stand up for herself, even though she's so entirely sweet and kind all the time. And we teach them all the time to CHOOSE the right. So she chose, what she felt was "right" for HER! LOVE you guys, aunt amy
Post a Comment