Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'M A SURVIVOR!

For several months now, I have been wanting to take some classes at SPAR. But I am a big chicken and I need a friend to go with me and hold my hand. I know I'm not in the 2nd grade anymore, but I still don't like to do some things by myself--okay, a lot of things, but that's beside the point. Back in February, I sold my treadmill to one of the instructors at SPAR and since then whenever I see her she asks, "When are you coming to one of my classes?" I always tell her that I really do want to come, but I openly confess that I am a chicken. She always says to just come and do what I can. Her name is Kelly and at SPAR she is known as "KILLER KELLY" because she is such an intense instructor. Just yesterday I saw her and she said, "One of these days you are going to surprise me and come to one of my classes, aren't you?" I said, "Yes, and you're not going to be able to teach because you'll be so shocked to see me there!" We both just laughed. Little did I know that 'one of these days' was going to be today! When we got to SPAR this morning, I ran into two ladies that I have become friends with in the last few months just from seeing them all the time there. They always 'ooh and ahh' over Sarah and steal hugs and kisses from her on our way to kid zone. Anyway, they were going to the 'Survivor' class, which Kelly teaches, and asked if I wanted to come. I told them I that I did want to try that class, but that I am a chicken and that I didn't think I was ready for it yet, and I might die. They said it was their first time going too and we could all go together and we would stop before we died. I took the girls to kid zone and was just going to go do the elliptical like I always do, but they were in the workout room, and asked if I was coming with them. So I realized that this was my chance because I have been wanting someone to go with me and it was also a bonus that it would be their first time going too. And then I saw Kristie, and remembered that I was supposed to have met her there an hour ago to workout with her! What kind of lame friend am I?! Anyway, I told her I was going to the survivor class and asked her if she wanted to come along too. After all, we had talked about taking some classes together, and misery loves company! And it truly was misery! It was incredibly hard! We are talking suicides (which I used to hate to do when I was a kid--and still do!), suicides while holding hand weights over your head, and lots of other cruel and unusual punishments. But, I made it through the entire class! I did have to do some--okay, lots of modifications--but I made it through an entire class with "KILLER KELLY!" HOORAY! But Kristie is the real survivor, because she made it through the class after doing 45 minutes on the elliptical! They have another 'Survivor' class on Friday, and I think I want to give it a try again. That's the great thing--I have done it already, so I know I can do it again. I think I am going to have a love/hate relationship with this class though--hate to do it, but love how I feel afterwards. Now, hopefully I will be able to move tomorrow!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Good for you!!! My biggest workout of the day is going to the refrigerator to get the brownie trifle dessert that my friend made for us. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!
I know exactly what you mean about wanting to try things, but wanting to do it w/someone. I'm the same way. Good Luck!!

Lisa said...

Is "Killer Kelly" Kelly Fosson? I know her from MBE. Great job on the class, wish I was brave enough for the classes at DD.

Carolina girl said...

Kristen, you are too funny!

Lisa, yes it is Kelly Fosson. Are one of your boys in the same grade as her son? She is so nice.

Stacy James said...

Oh my goodness.....this is too weird! I just did my first "killer" class today at the YMCA, where all my gal pals go. Only our class is called "Triple Threat". Does that sound fun or what?! It went pretty well, but I did plenty of modifications myself. So don't feel bad. Tomorrow I'm trying Pilates!

Andrea said...

Yeah! That is awesome! I wish I had a place close to home to get a good work out! It's a lot easier to go when you have friends to back you up!!

Julie Church said...

You go! Yesterday Rachael told me (while I was doing her hair) "Mom, being a girl kind of has to hurt sometimes. But, I like pink ribbons in my hair, so it's ok". Even though it hurts, Rach says its worth it! Keep it up, wish I had your nerve.