Thursday, March 13, 2008

Test Week


This week has been test week for Katie at school. So since she wouldn't have homework all week long, I planned to make it a fun and stress free week for her and do some fun things that we don't normally do on a school night. On Monday I had planned for us to go to the park and have a picnic and fly kites. Of course it rained. :( So, instead we had Jen and Adam Morris and Mark and Lauren over for dinner and FHE and afterwards we all stuffed eggs for the egg hunt at church on Saturday. It turned out to be a fun night (plus we got to "sample" the Easter candy--just to make sure it was safe for the kids:). On Tuesday, I wanted to take the girls downtown to feed the ducks because they both love that. But Stacy, Alyssa, and Perry stopped by for a visit because Perry was in town for a few days. That turned out to be a great visit too, because Perry is about to be deployed to Iraq and Stacy, Mark, and Alyssa will be moving in just a few weeks. The girls love to play with Alyssa so they had a fun time together. On Wednesday I wanted to take the girls to go swimming at SPAR, but that was the only day that Johnice could come to trim Katie's hair. So after Katie's trim, we just hung out and read some books and had a nice quiet night together. So today, I was determined to do something fun that would get us out of the house. I packed our stuff and picked up Katie from school and headed for SPAR to go swimming. On our way there, Sarah told Katie we were going swimming. Katie said, "Who's going with us?" I said, "No one. It's just us." Well she insisted on a friend going with us, so I told her she could call Lily and see if they could meet us there. Well, turns out that her parents were in Houston, so she could not meet us there. So Katie decided that she wanted to go home and have Lily come over to play. At this point, we were almost to SPAR and I was getting frustrated. But I remembered that the whole point of the "fun" week was for Katie to begin with. So I told her if Sarah would agree to it, we would go pick up Lily and go back home and let them play there. Sarah really wanted to go swimming, but she was so sweet and agreed to go home since Katie wanted to so bad. So we went to the Zachary's and picked up Sarah Beth, Emma, and Lily and came home. The girls played outside on our "new" swing set (which we inherited from Kurt and Julie when they moved--thanks so much guys!!). They had a great time!! So, even though we did nothing that I had planned to this week, it was a very fun week after all!!!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I think you succeeded!!! It sounds like Katie had a really fun week, even if some of the fun was "unexpected". You are such a good mom! Love you guys!

RaeAnn said...

Hi Carolina girl!!!
Love your hot pink Blog and adorable picture!! What exactly is a tarheel?
Being from California I guess I haven't heard that term before. Love you guys!!

Carolina girl said...

There are several stories about where North Carolina got the name "Tarheel" state. So much tar, pitch, and turpentine was produced in the pine woods of NC that outsiders started calling the people "Tar Heels" because so many go tar stuck on their feet when they were at work. Some say that when Cornwallis' British troops forded the Tar River in May 1781 on their way to Yorktown, they got stuck in tar that had been dumped in the river to keep it from being captured. During the Civil War, another relates, when troops from NC were fighting in Virginia, stuck to their posts during a hard battle, President Jefferson Davis wanted to buy all the tar in NC to make Virginians stick fast too. It was also said that General Robert E. Lee commended the NC troops by saying, "God bless the Tar Heel boys." So there's your history lesson for the day.:)