Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cute Old Men

Since November, I have been trying really hard to get in shape. I have been exercising 3 to 5 times a week, and TRYING to eat better. That's the hard part for me--the eating. Not that the exercise isn't hard too, because everyday I have to fight myself from coming up with a "good" reason not to go exercise. But for some reason I can win that battle easier than making myself not eat the yummy things that call my name all day long. Anyway, Sarah and I have been going to a "Mommy and Me" class which we both really enjoy. But today the instructor told me she wasn't going to be able to do the class because she had to leave. So I just took Sarah up to the track and started doing the things we usually do for that class. I started by stretching, and then a lap around the track to warm up (pushing Sarah in the stroller). On the next lap, I did lunges on the long part of the track and walked the shorts. That really gets my heart pounding, so the next lap I just walked. At one point on that lap, we were walking beside this old man for a few seconds when he looked over and said, "Ya wanna race?" We both just looked at each other and laughed. I'm sure he would have given me a run for my money if I had challenged him. But I knew better! I've been up on that track several times now and have been passed up or had a hard time keeping up with some of those little old men. On the next lap, I jogged the longs and walked the shorts. Again, after this lap I was pretty tired, so I just walked the next lap. Then I just kept repeating that pattern--lunges, walk, jog, walk. On one of my walking laps, another old man said, AS HE PASSES US, "You've got a plan. That's good!" I really appreciate that cute little old men give encouragement to a mom trying to get in shape!

2 comments:

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

What a wonderful story! I loved it. It really made me smile.

Kristen said...

That's too cute!!! Gotta love those cute old men. :)