Monday, November 7, 2011

Grandaddy's Memory Quilt

I finally finished my daddy's memory quilt.



The front is made up mostly of his clothes. The blue plaid squares were his pjs, which were his favorite things on the planet to wear.


The center block is just like the block I put in the center of the quilt I made for my mom. I love it!



I included this poem that I also love.



And a list that we made of things that we love about Grandaddy.



These hand print blocks we did during a craft day at Camp Singletary this past summer with my family. That is also when I gave each family a stack of squares (all made from Daddy's clothes) to make their own memory quilt too.



And then I included a picture of each of my kids with Grandaddy. My point in doing this was to help them think of him and remember him, and hopefully to start conversations about him. I don't want them to forget him. Well....the girls at least. I know John David will have no memories of him, but I want him to know my daddy from stories that he hears us tell about him.



This is Sarah sharing a popsicle with my Daddy. It was taken when we were home for Christmas in 2004. They had a really special bond, that may have started at this very moment that was captured in this picture. She still talks about him and how much she misses him.



This is Katie with my Daddy on the first trip we took back to North Carolina after we had moved to Louisiana.



And this is my Daddy with John David during the visit that turned out to be his last trip to Louisiana, in which he stood in the circle to bless John David and when Katie received the gift of the Holy Ghost. I am so thankful that he was able to be here for those two special occasions.



I included a pocket from his pjs for us to write letters to him.



I put navy minky on the back, so it will be nice and cozy to wrap up in.



I'm looking forward to wrapping up in this memory quilt, remembering my Daddy, and telling my kids stories about him..........and when they're older.............I will have to tell them his favorite joke.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Lynetta - That is absolutely beautiful! Lots of love put into it and a treasure for your family forever.

Susan said...

It is precious....I love that you included the pajama pocket.