Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Celebrations

We have enjoyed the long Memorial Day weekend by celebrating each day with different activities. Here are the highlights.

FRIDAY night we had the Andrews over to celebrate the arrival of sweet little Jackson. He is just adorable!


The girls were crazy about him--especially Sarah!



Aaron grilled hot dogs and hamburgers for supper, and for dessert we had a yummy cookie cake to celebrate dad's 69th birthday on Wednesday and of course Jackson's birthday too--or as Aaron calls him '7-11' (Jackson's birth weight). He actually can't decide if he likes '7-11' or 'action Jackson' best.


SATURDAY we went to the waterpark again and it was much warmer outside, which translated to lots more fun. Sarah went down the kiddie slides for the first time and she loved it! We practically had to drag her off of them.


Saturday afternoon we headed to church for the ward crawfish boil. It was my parents first time trying boiled crawfish and they were really good sports about it--even my mom, which is a HUGE thing for her to try new foods.



They did actually eat them, not just have their picture taken with the crawfish in front of them. And they liked them, but thought they were lots of work for just a little bit of food, which is true.


My mom was so funny. She kept pulling the tail off and throwing it down and asking, "Now what do you do? How do you get it out?"


Katie and Sarah had a blast riding their bikes and playing with their friends. But Katie fell and scrapped up her knee and foot pretty good. So to distract her from her pain and suffering, Aaron asked if she wanted to have a bike race with her friends. So he rounded up some kids and they had a race.....AND.........


.....SHE WON--even with her hurt knee and foot!


She was so proud of herself!

SUNDAY we went to church of course.


That afternoon me and my little chefs made 'monster cookies', another yummy recipe from the Essential Mormon Celebrations cookbook.


You know they're going to be good when you can't stop eating the dough! Seriously, they were SOOOOOO GOOD!



We also found some squash in our garden today! HOORAY! It's so fun having a garden and watching it grow!


But the highlight of the day was definitely the pillow fight we had Sunday evening in the living room. It started out with just the girls and grandma and grandaddy (it was just so much fun watching them interact with each other and hearing all the laughs), and then Aaron and I joined in too. It probably lasted at least an hour! I don't know who had more fun--the grown ups or the kids!



MONDAY we started out the day going to Walmart to buy red, white, and blue nail polish and then came home and I gave the girls, grandma and myself a Memorial Day pedicure. It was so fun and it turned out pretty cute!



This afternoon we went to Lake Charles to see the Avenue of Flags, where over seven hundred are on display.



We saw several really cool early American flags.







It was my first time going and my parents too, of course. It was an awesome sight to behold so many flags in one place and to realize that they all represent the life of one man or woman who served our country. I am so grateful for all who are willing to sacrifice their time, energy, and sometimes their lives to protect our freedom. I feel truly blessed to live in this great country.
Here are my two favorite veterans.



While we were in Lake Charles, we decided to go to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. Delicious! And then came home to hang out and watch a movie.
We have had a great weekend, and a great couple of weeks with Grandma and Grandaddy!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

It looks like you guys had a really fun weekend. I love the picture of the girls making the cookies. I must get that cookbook!! It sounds like it has some great recipies!!

I want to take the boys to the water park. We just haven't made it there yet!! I love the pillow fight too!! It's so great that you are ablt to have your parents visit!!

Kristen said...

Sounds like lots of activities, but lots of FUN! I'm so glad you guys have had a nice visit. We've missed the grandparents are are going to be glad to get them back. :) I can totally picture your mom with the crawfish. I just wish I could have been there!! Ian weighed 711 too, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your holiday sounded a lot more exciting than mine! :) Love the pedi's, you're very talented! It's so funny to hear the diff activities that wards do. When we moved to Garner, they were going to have a "pig pickin" and the girl putting it on, explained in Relief Society that they were "actually going to have the pig on a cooker and pull the meat off". I thought I was in the twilight zone! Who didn't know that already? Ha! I would've been the same way though at your crawlfish boil!

Stacy James said...

Can I just say that I LOVE your family? You all do the neatest activities and we really miss being there to participate in all the fun, food and friendship with you guys. Hugs to everyone!

Susan said...

We were at The Avenue of the Flags too. It's the largest display of veteran's memorial flags in the nation.

My parents are buried there so of course we donated my dad's flag after he died. It's means more there than just to lay folded up in a closet. When the wind blows through the trees and all those flags are flying, I get tears in my eyes every time!

To Aaron, my Daddy, and all those who've served....we love you!

Gayla said...

Hi Lynetta! Melinda recently mentioned that all our old playgroup friends have blogs now and it has been fun catchin' up on what everyone is doing. I absolutely LOVE the pedicures!! Have got to do that with my girls! Trent really misses crawfish. He did this big report in school about Louisiana and bragged that he used to get a week off school for the Marti Gra holiday. I love the pictures of Jackson - Melinda emailed me some that I couldn't pull up. Bruce is the 'puter man. Wow, your girls have really grown. (Time for another???) Kidding;) We miss the waterpark lots. Summers are beautiful but much shorter here. We enjoy your blog!

Carolina girl said...

Stacy, we miss you guys tons too!

Gayla, it was so great to hear from you! Do you guys have a blog? If not, you have to start one so we can blog stalk you guys too! Take care!:)