Friday, May 27, 2011
Skeleton Creek
I have to admit that I wasn't thrilled when Katie told me about this book that her teacher was reading to her class at school. After all, it is a ghost/mystery story, which includes video clips that you watch online, and I was worried that it would keep her up at night. But when they started reading the second book (Ghost in the Machine) and she realized that they would not be able to finish it before school got out, she went to the library to check it out, but they didn't have the second book. So she decided that she wanted to go to Books a Million and buy her own copy. With her own money. Yeah. She never even asked if we would buy it for her. So I knew that this could be what I have been waiting for. I have been hoping for a long time that she would find that book that she would read and not want to put down because she was so into it, thereby discovering the wonderful world of reading! So we went to Books a Million and they didn't have a copy either, but they ordered one for her. In the meantime, she checked out the first book from the library and wanted to read it as a family. But this just isn't our "season" for family reading time. We are lucky to make it through family scripture study every night with the age that our little "bedlamite" is. So the girls and I started trying to find time to sneak away from John David each day so we could read together. I was worried about Sarah and how she would do with the spooky story and videos. And I'm kinda glad that she has lost interest. (I think she'll appreciate it more when she's older.) But I have to confess that I am completely hooked. I have finished the first two, and I am trying to patiently wait for Katie to finish the second, so we can go together to get the third. I love being able to discuss this book with her! It has been so much fun! I have a list of books that I want to read with the girls and I am looking forward to a fun summer of reading with them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can so relate!!! A while back, Elise told me, "You know how I used to say I hated reading? Well, I don't anymore. Now I love it!" One of the happiest days of my life. :)
Post a Comment