Sometimes it amazes me the things that Katie will turn her nose up at and the things that she will eat. For example, she will not touch a cantaloupe, but will eat an entire bell pepper like an apple--after I take out the seeds, of course. She loves cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, and lettuce, but will not eat a salad. She absolutely loves boiled crawfish, but will not even taste crawfish ettouffee, crawfish fettuccine, or crawfish pie. She will not eat spaghetti, lasagna, hamburgers, or even my homemade chicken pot pie or chicken noodle soup--which I have to say are both pretty darn good! I remember one time when she was about 2 years old I was eating some mint chocolate chip ice cream and I asked her if she wanted some. She took one look at it and shook her head no. I knew she didn't want to taste it because it was green, but if she would just taste it, she would like it. So, being the mean mom that I am, I made her eat a spoonful and guess what? She LOVED it! Lots of times she just looks at stuff and decides whether or not she likes it by how it looks. However, I am careful these days about making her try new stuff. I have learned the hard way that she has a very sensitive gag reflex. So I tell her to take a tiny bite, and if she doesn't like it she can spit it out. Otherwise, I would be cleaning it up off of the floor. And I have to admit, she is more willing to try new stuff since she had her tonsils removed and has discovered a few new things that she likes, such as gumbo, tacos, and baked potatoes. Hopefully as she gets older, she will add more things to her 'likes' list.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
My Picky Eater
Sometimes it amazes me the things that Katie will turn her nose up at and the things that she will eat. For example, she will not touch a cantaloupe, but will eat an entire bell pepper like an apple--after I take out the seeds, of course. She loves cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, and lettuce, but will not eat a salad. She absolutely loves boiled crawfish, but will not even taste crawfish ettouffee, crawfish fettuccine, or crawfish pie. She will not eat spaghetti, lasagna, hamburgers, or even my homemade chicken pot pie or chicken noodle soup--which I have to say are both pretty darn good! I remember one time when she was about 2 years old I was eating some mint chocolate chip ice cream and I asked her if she wanted some. She took one look at it and shook her head no. I knew she didn't want to taste it because it was green, but if she would just taste it, she would like it. So, being the mean mom that I am, I made her eat a spoonful and guess what? She LOVED it! Lots of times she just looks at stuff and decides whether or not she likes it by how it looks. However, I am careful these days about making her try new stuff. I have learned the hard way that she has a very sensitive gag reflex. So I tell her to take a tiny bite, and if she doesn't like it she can spit it out. Otherwise, I would be cleaning it up off of the floor. And I have to admit, she is more willing to try new stuff since she had her tonsils removed and has discovered a few new things that she likes, such as gumbo, tacos, and baked potatoes. Hopefully as she gets older, she will add more things to her 'likes' list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
WAY TO GO MOMMY!! What a great blog about Katie! That picture is great!
Bell peppers, huh? Uncle Adam would be so proud! I do know she loves KETCHUP! Nice to be able to count on that??? You are so right, of course, that her tastes will grow and expand. I think you're doing a really good job of encouraging her, but not traumatizing her. I love the whole "spit it back out" option. Maybe we wouldn't have had to have "THE STANDOFF" with the single green pea when I was 10 if I'd had that option. Could you have a talk with my parents? I hope you have a good day. LOVE you, AMY
I am such a picky eater! But you will never see me with a bell pepper in my hands like an apple! LOL! That is a cute picture!
lol my step mom has the same problem with elizabeth lol so now she is in the 'all star tasters club" its really funny cause once a month when liz has tryed a few things she makes w/e liz wants and thats the benifit of the taster club lawl kids are insane ....my poor mom...lawl love you chika!!
My kids are picky sometimes too. But they really do surprise you, that they'll turn up their nose at something really good and eat something else a little questionable. Oh well. :) I'm amazed by the bell pepper. Ick. I wouldn't even try that.
I can identify with the gag reflex too. Ian has that, only with smells. Its terrible. We can't even go in Michael's during the holiday season. There are so many smell he immediately starts spitting and gagging. Poor kid. Thank gooness he's tough!
I go through the same thing with Connor. He will not eat tacos to save his life because "he doesn't like ground beef", but he LOVES meatloaf! Does this make sense to anyone else?
Jenny--I really like the idea of the 'allstars tasters club.' What a great idea!
Kristen--Poor little Ian. I didn't know that about him.
Lindsay--That is so funny that Conner won't eat tacos because 'he doesn't like ground beef' but he will eat meatloaf! Katie doesn't actually like traditional tacos. She likes her own version, which is just the hard taco shell with corn and cheese. She will not eat ground beef at all--no spaghetti, hamburgers, meatloaf, nothing--no way,no how,if ground beef is involved.
Post a Comment