Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bread and Jam



Last Thursday night at leadership meeting they talked mostly about food storage and did a demonstration on canning. They even showed us the different tools and supplies that you need for canning and passed them around for us to look at. On one of the boxes was a recipe for strawberry freezer jam, and it reminded me of this lady on my mission who gave me and my companion some as we were leaving her house after an appointment one night. I am not really a big fan of jams and jellies, but we were hungry when we got home so we made some toast and tried the jam. It was so delicious! We ate all of it in less than a week! So I quickly copied the recipe after the meeting and today I made my first ever batch of strawberry freezer jam. It was so fun and easy. So then I had to make some homemade bread to test it out. All I can say is.....OH MY HOLY MOLY COW! There goes my diet for today!



I actually used the recipe that was on the back of the package of these Ball plastic storage containers that I bought at Kroger. Here it is if you are interested:

4 cups of strawberries (about 3 lbs.)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 pouch of Ball's fruit pectin

*Crush strawberries in food chopper or blender. In a separate bowl, stir sugar and fruit pectin together until well mixed. Add to strawberries. Stir for 3 minutes. Pour into containers and sit on counter until it sets up--about 30 minutes. Lasts for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator or up to 1 year in the freezer. Makes five 8oz. containers. Enjoy!

4 comments:

MaryRuth said...

Hi!

Can I get the recipe?? I love Strawberry Freezer jam!!

Kristen said...

It's really unfair for you to tell me about something as yummy as homemade bread and jam while you are in LOUISIANA and can't even share! For shame!!! :) You know, that's practically what I was raised on, so I'm a huge fan! Post the recipes for those of us who will have to make their own. :)

Laura said...

Yum, post that recipe, girl!!

Carolina girl said...

I love your blog even your jam.Love katie.