Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Birthday To Me!

Tonight my sweet family surprised me by inviting a few friends over for my birthday. We ate some dinner, and some yummy cake from Joe's, and just enjoyed hanging out with some of our favorite people.

And even though my birthday is not for a few more days, my husband gave me my present. It was these beautiful dishes that I fell in love with this past summer when we went to the Corelle store in Katy, Texas. While we were in the store, Aaron picked out some thick, ceramic dishes that he liked and I picked out these regular, thin Corelle ones. He thought they were too thin and would break easily. He decided he was going to ask the ladies working there if he could do a break test. To his surprise, they said he absolutely could. He told them he thought the dishes I liked were too thin and that our kids would break them easily because they are hard on stuff. They lady picked up the plate we were looking at and said, "Are they this hard on them?" And she proceeded to bang the plate against the metal rack, over and over, until my husband stood there with his mouth wide open. He then asked if he could drop one on the floor. She said yes, so he held this plate up high and dropped it onto the concrete floor. I'm not sure what we were all expecting, but certainly not what we heard. The dish didn't break, but bounced off of the floor and made a tremendously loud noise. We were all standing there with our mouths open. Aaron said, "Okay, we can get these!" Needless to say, we were pretty impressed. However, we did not buy dishes that day because we didn't want to spend that much money at the time. 


So, Aaron surprised me with them today, and I love them!

Here's a better picture of the cute pattern on them. We have been through at least 3 sets of dishes since we've been married, but I think we'll have these a while. 

No comments: