Thursday, January 5, 2012

Remembering Lamar

The first time I remember talking to Lamar was when I was working in primary. He had brought his niece to church with him and wanted to know what class she should go to. I never talked to him other than that, until we started having the young single adults in our home for FHE on Sunday evenings. I quickly learned how fun he was to be around. I loved talking to him, not only because I loved to hear his awesome Jamaican accent, but because he was so funny. He loved to make people laugh. But what impressed me most about Lamar was what I learned from him when he found out that his cancer had come back. It was last August. He came over early Sunday morning to ride to Stake Conference with us. It was the first time I had seen him since he had gotten the news, so I asked how he was doing, and how his mom was doing too. He said, "We have been through this before. We are going to be fine." He said he didn't want anyone to feel sorry or sad for him, and that he didn't want anyone, especially the big men at church, "like Bishop, and Brother Zachary" to cry about him. It made me laugh when he said it. But I hope he isn't bothered as much by the women crying about him, because I will certainly miss him. As I have thought about him over the last few days, one of my favorite scriptures came to my mind.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them that love his appearing."

I know that these verses are so true for Lamar. He did fight a good fight, and finished his course with unwavering faith. I am so grateful for the short time that we have been able to get to know him, and learn from his positive attitude, his love for people, and his amazing example of faith.

No comments: